Question:
what is least expensive, flagstone or concrete pavers?
molly234000
2006-03-04 20:40:45 UTC
I'm relandscaping my yard and am researching different hardscape materials and am looking to get an idea of the difference in cost between flagstone, limestone, etc. vs. concrete paveres (cobble look)
Six answers:
2006-03-04 22:08:24 UTC
pavers-$6.00sf.......flagstone $.25- 1.00 lb($500-2000 per pallet)+ labor
2016-05-20 11:36:58 UTC
I just recently had this very decision. We wanted to expand/redo our 15 x 15 patio approximately doubling its size. We looked at this from the following aspects: price, durability, attractiveness and functionality. Price: Professionally installed "medium" grade pavers (and price can vary widely depending on the type of pavers used) were about 25% more expensive than a simple poured concrete slab. We also looked at stamped/tinted concrete, which ended up being 10% more than the pavers. Durability: Concrete should outlast pavers, but pavers are still a decent long term solution (IF INSTALLED CORRECTLY). The biggest thing you need to watch for is the type of soil and drainage your yard has. I've seen paver patios that sunk or had parts of the fill washed away or time. In my opinion, this is the biggest downfall of paver. This can happen with concrete, but generally it's less noticeable because of the large slabs. Attractiveness: I LOVE the look of pavers. No contest here. The stamped/tinted concrete does have some appeal, though. Functionality: Concrete is much more level/homogenous. No seams to deal with. Furniture won't rock and need to be positioned just right. Ladies in heels can walk on the concrete easier (That might sound like an odd thing to mention, but we were at a party where two different women tripped because of the seams in the pavers.) Concrete is easier to clean (both sweeping and washing). Looking at all those factors, we when with a regular poured concrete slab. We thought we got the most functionality and durability for the price. Yes, we sacrificed appeal a bit, but we've landscaped the rest of the yard well and the patio looks very nice.
?
2017-01-20 00:52:43 UTC
Is Flagstone Expensive
constructor
2006-03-07 11:36:20 UTC
best way to answer this is too go and look at the materials yourself. All materials vary in color, hardness, availability, and ease of installation. The question is, in the long run, what will be better for your home and your pocket. Never order materials without actually looking and touching a sample. If you do the job yourself read up on the subject, get the right tools, and have patience. Otherwise hire someone that knows about it. And again, natural materials always vary in size and color. Lastly remember, in construction cheap=it won't last long.
chillinout5
2006-03-05 15:59:05 UTC
at most supply yards that have different hard scape materials they have a chart for the estimated cost per square foot for each product, then take into account any more cost for base material, and other amenities you may want,concrete pavers tend to be the lowest cost,the man made material tends to be less difficult for the novice to install also
Richard H
2006-03-04 20:41:30 UTC
check with local contractors