Question:
Less harmful to over-water or under-water plants?
SeattleGirl
2006-04-03 23:13:10 UTC
I bought these little "Egg Plant" plants at Walgreens today, they come with soil and seeds already in this ceramic egg, and once they're mature they get transplanted. It's a bit hard to tell if they have enough water since the soil isn't dirt and is more pellet-like. Directions say to keep them "moist", I watered them until just a tiny bit of water stayed above the soil before sinking in. Is it okay if they end up with a little bit more water than needed, or is it better if they have slightly less than needed?
Five answers:
layzriver
2006-04-04 04:25:02 UTC
Keep the soil moist until they germinate then allow the soil to dry between waterings.

Note: Overwatering is not better than underwatering too much water can kill a plant just as easily as not enough water!
raptorsmoonrising
2006-04-04 08:16:28 UTC
Does the egg have a drainage hole? (If not go find a similar sized pot and transplant it) Put it in your sink or outside and water until water comes out the hole. Wait a few minutes and water again. Let it drain and put it back. You can also put it in a bowl or somesuch and let it soak in water for a few minutes and take it out. Let it drain and put it back on your shelf or where ever you are keeping it. It is important to not let it sit in water as too much water will cause the roots to rot which will cause the plant to die. Too little water for the young plants will kill them just as dead.
2006-04-04 05:42:44 UTC
Its a lot harder to overwater the underwater, so I am going with concensus that is more harmful to underwater.
2006-04-04 00:02:18 UTC
over watering plants is less harmful cuase if u dont give them enough water they will die!
moorej1975
2006-04-03 23:26:19 UTC
JUST KEEP IT DAMPED